1.12.2012

iPod nano

This funny interesting little story begins back in October 2011.  Let me give you a little background... I used to have a first generation iPod nano.  It was my trusty little companion during all my marathon trainings and business travel.  It stored a few photos but, mostly my music and running stats.  Last October, I heard apple was doing a recall on the first generation nanos because of some faulty battery or something(?)  I had received an iPhone for Moms Day and have been using that for my music, running, etc. while my nano friend began to collect dust in the drawer.  With Christmas around the corner and my oldest son asking for an MP3 player, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to fulfill a Christmas wish. What a blessing from above that I could actually replace my nano and give it to my son for Christmas with no cost to us.  I went through the replacement hoops to return my nano and then marked that gift off my checklist.

Feature this.  The holidays are in full swing and no iPod delivery.  I call and the apple tech says that they are behind in shipping the replacements and it looks like it won't be delivered until after Christmas.  bummer.  We get creative and wrap up an iTunes card with an I.O.U note for our son.  Of course, he is thrilled that he is getting a nano and all is well until last Saturday...

I return home from a basketball tournament to see a note from FedEx on our door with an attempted delivery, only 10 minutes prior.  I realized this package could either be the nano OR a birthday gift for me.  I decided to call FedEx to see if they could track down the driver and see if they were still in the neighborhood to try a re-deliver.  No go.  I was told they would attempt delivery again the following Tuesday and they did confirm it was the nano!  Super excited to know we were that close to be giving our son his Christmas gift.  Let's pop over to Tuesday, shall we?
Tuesday, no delivery.  Okay, it will probably come Wednesday...nope.  Weird, right?  I call FedEx Thursday morning to find out what happened to our package.  The customer service rep told me she would call me back in a little bit after doing some research.  No call.  I decide to call FedEx back to find out where my package is, here is where things get "funny".

After trying to make nice with the automated phone system, I finally reach a human being.  I tell the guy my story up to this point and he asks for my tracking number (which thankfully, I have from the attempted delivery door tag).  The next few moments were hysterical... the guy on the other line shouts into the phone "OH MY! WHAT THE..."  He apologizes for his unprofessional outburst then proceeds to tell me that the reason my package has not been delivered is because...are you ready for this...

The truck that my little nano was on got stolen. S.T.O.L.E.N.

I begin laughing (in kind of a crazy deranged way) thinking back over the past 2 months of what a pain in the hiney this process has been!!  The FedEx guy on the phone tells me to call Apple and have them ship me a replacement and then have them call FedEx to figure it out.  So, I hang up with FedEx and call Apple.


Once I reach a human voice, tell my story, and the Apple rep has the same response as the FedEx guy (a nervous-thats-the-craziest-thing-I've-ever-heard-laugh).  I beg him to believe me because now I'm worried I will never see this nano again!  He puts me on hold to speak to a supervisor... 50 minutes later, Apple has my contact information and I hang up.  Apple tells me they need to research and communicate with FedEx because this kind of thing never happens...

Super, so glad to be a part of it.

It looks like we will be waiting another week or more before getting my son's Christmas present.  That is my story up to now, to be continued...

No comments: