1.21.2013

Becoming Minimalist

So, I am beginning this journey of cleansing our home/lifestyle.  I can't stand clutter!  Guess who is guilty of bringing clutter into our home?  Umm, that would be me.  This is going to be a tough journey, taking on one little project at a time, I know I can do it.  I see nothing but benefits from this process and I am optimistic at the outcome.

I began my research with my good pal Google and quickly discovered an overwhelming collection of minimalist living.  From living with 100 Things to Becoming Minimalist I was quickly inspired to begin a list of projects.  But, where to start?  This was my decision and I have to respect my family and their things.  I couldn't just gather everything up into a garbage bag and deliver it to Goodwill... could I?  So tempting but, I have learned that "cold turkey" methods don't usually work.

On the website, Becoming Minimalist, Joshua Becker shares a list of 15ways to de-clutter a home.  This is a good place to begin.  Here is a summary of the list but, I encourage you to check out the article.
1. Place junk mail immediately into a recycling bin.
2. Store kitchen appliances out of sight.
3. Remove 10 articles of clothing from your closet today.
4. Fold clean clothes / Remove dirty clothes immediately.
5. Kids’ bedroom toys live in the closet.
6. Kids pick up their toys each evening.
7. Fill your containers for the garbage man.
8. Halve decorations.
9. Wash dishes right away.
10. Unmix and match cups, bowls, plates, and silverware.
11. Keep your desk clear and clean.
12. Store your media out of sight.
13. Always leave room in your coat closet.
14. Keep flat surfaces clear.
15. Finish a magazine or newspaper. Process or recycle immediately.
I've already seen changes in myself when shopping!  I ask myself two questions:
1. Do you need it?
2. Does it add beauty to our home?

Those two simple questions have already saved me some cash and clutter!  I have begun working through this list and I will be coming back here to mark them off when I've completed them or made them a habit.

You know what I'm most excited about for this process?  Its knowing that getting all of the clutter and consumerism under control, I will be a more focused person on what is truly important.
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen,
but on what is unseen.
For what is seen is temporary,

but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome ideas. Have you read the book "7" by Jen Hatmaker? Ask Kristen about it ... lots of similar ideas, but expanded to help us look at the excess in all areas of our lives. AmyE

Karla Archer said...

I write about this a lot. We've been 'minimalized' for the last several years.

Here's one post I've written about it, that gives some of my thoughts and tips: http://www.livingthelifefantastic.com/2012/05/what-do-you-really-need-thoughts-on-decluttering-your-home/