1.17.2013

Sickie

We've got the sick going around our house.  We had the norovirus a few weeks ago and I don't think our immune system quite recovered before the kids headed back into the cesspool of germs at the school.  My little guy and myself have sore throats and cold junk (praying the others don't catch it!).  No fun, I say.  The bonus is that I've had some serious snuggle time the last couple of days with him.  It has reminded me of when I was a little girl and all the things my Mum did for me when I was sick.
  • Saltine Crackers were always in full supply.
  • It was a treat to drink 7-Up.
  • Warm blankets covered me as I rested.
  • Movies played throughout the day as I drifted in and out of sleep.
  • Popsicles were a staple on the menu plan.
  • Soup.  Glorious soup, to warm my belly.
  • Warm wash cloths placed gently on my forehead with care.
  • Medicine given when love just couldn't make it go away.
  • Pulling my hair back in a ponytail when I was getting to know the porcelain throne.
  • The smell of Lysol thick in the air.
My Mum was a hero on those sick days.  Never complaining.  Never annoyed that I was ruining her plans for the day.  Never concerned she might catch what I had.  She took care of me.

As a Mama myself, I get to pay it forward to my sweet Babies on these days of sick.  Doing everything I can to make my kids comfortable as they fight through the sickies.  Gosh, it is miserable to see my Babies not feeling well and knowing there is not much I can do to make it better.  I also know that in these times, I am teaching them how to take care of others, just as my Mum taught me.  By her example and service in nursing me back to health, I learned how to take care of my kids.  Actions speak volumes.

Love Does.

Older women are to teach the young women to love their husbands and children.
 They are to teach them to think before they act, to be pure,
to be workers at home, to be kind, and to obey their own husbands.
In this way, the Word of God is honored.
Titus 2:4,5

No comments: