3.05.2013

Relationship Failure

I am learning to let go of my preconceived ideas about humanity and relationships.  I believe this is a lesson I will learn for the rest of my life.  I believe in a big, powerful, almighty, merciful God so, why do I put my faith in people?  Why do I put my trust in human beings?  One conclusion... I simply forget.

I forget that people make mistakes.
I forget that people are broken.
I forget that people desire to be loved.
I forget that people aren't perfect.
I forget that people will let me down.
I forget that people are learning life alongside me.
I forget that people have a hard time forgiving.
I forget that people are people.

There was only one human to ever walk this earth whole and perfect, Jesus.  I have a hard time grasping that his friends, disciples, and followers knew he had come directly from Heaven's throne yet, they still doubted.  I wasn't there, so who is to say I wouldn't do the same thing!  Perfection was in their face and they still struggled to trust.
They. Were. Human.

We all fail.  But, Jesus didn't.  He came to walk among us.  Broken, fallen, messed-up people.  I recall the time in the Bible when Jesus went into the garden to pray.  He knew his time was coming to an end on this earth and he needed to talk with his Father.  He asked his three dearest disciples (Peter, James and John) a simple favor, "please keep watch and pray".  Jesus steps away to have his alone time and comes back to discover his three pals snoozing!  Jesus asks again, please stay awake and pray.  Jesus comes back and finds them napping again.  I can just see this scene played out...
"once more he went away and prayed the same thing. When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him." (Mark14:39-40)
Can't you just feel the awkward silence?  Like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  So, Jesus gives them another shot at things (because He is good at forgiveness).  He walks away to pray, returning a third time to find them sleeping once again.  We don't know if they were praying and fell asleep or if they were just so exhausted they couldn't keep their eyes open.  What we do see, is that these guys failed their friend three times.  Three times Jesus felt the disappointment of relying on his people.  Knowing Jesus like I do, he probably felt the sting of disappointment and carried on loving those knuckleheads.

Jesus doesn't forget we are human.  Amen.  He continues loving on us even in our darkest times.  I can't say that about a single person in my life.  Yes, my husband, children and family love me dearly but, they can't even begin to love me as deeply as my heavenly Father.  Learning this love to my core allows me to release my dependency on others.  It allows me to love those around me with a Christ-like adoration.  My heart says, "Forgive them. You've been forgiven." and, "Love them, you are loved."

How can we be better at loving those around us?  Is there someone in your world who is your "heavenly sandpaper"?  That person that drives you crazy but, keeps bringing their crazy right to your doorstep.  How can you love them better today?

No comments: