4.17.2013

Ducktape Pinwheel Bow :: Tutorial

My daughter is starting her next volleyball season and I wanted to make a hair bow for her and her teammates.  Normally, I would just buy a bunch of bows from the fabulous Bliss Baby Designs but she's on a maternity leave and I couldn't ask her to make them for me on such short notice.  I headed to Michael's to gather ideas and supplies, searched the internet for some inspiration and came up with a Ducktape Pinwheel Bow:

I always love finding easy projects and thought I'd share a step-by-step tutorial so you can make your own hair bows.  This seriously only took about 5-10 minutes per bow(depending on how many interruptions you get!)  I made 9 of them for her teammates and can't wait to see them on the girls!  Okay, let's get to the tutorial.

SUPPLIES:
1 roll of Ducktape (1.88 x 10 yards)
1 roll white satin ribbon (4" x 10 yards)
scissors
glue gun/sticks
optional: jewelry wire (26 gauge)
optional: hairclips

Notes:
  • I made 10 bows with the roll of Ducktape and ribbon and have plenty leftover for more!
  • The jewelry wire I had on hand and isn't necessary but, helps with assembly.
  • You can substitute the satin ribbon with any kind of fabric or ribbon.  I choose the 4" wide satin white because of cost and I could fit two strips of tape.
STEP 1:
You will need to measure out approximately 27" of the ribbon and the tape.

I rolled out the ribbon first and then applied the tape to the very edge of the ribbon.  Be sure you stick the tape to the back of the ribbon (aka, the non-shiny side).

Plug in your hot glue gun so its ready to go when you need it!









STEP 2:
Once you have stuck the tape on, you can see how there is plenty of space to add another strip of tape to the other side.

After you have stuck down the tape and smoothed it out, grab your scissors.  Cut along the inside edge to get your strip for the bow.

No need to worry about the ribbon frays because the tape will keep it from shredding.

Repeat this step for the remainder ribbon if you are making more than one hair bow.





STEP 3:
Trim the edge of your strip at angles or diagonal (your preference here).  I did angles because I like the look!

Fold the ribbon like so (see photo)







STEP 4:
Pinch the folds together to start forming your bow.  This takes a little work to shape the pleats of the bow to your liking.  You'll get it, just work with it a bit.









STEP 5 (optional):
I had some jewelry wire laying around so I used it to secure the pinch.  Totally not necessary but, it is helpful so you can use both hands to wrap the ribbon for the next step.









STEP 6:
Cut a strip of ribbon approximately 7" and tie a knot in the center.

PS, I wish I would have gotten a larger ribbon with a pattern for this center part but, I ran out of time.  The other option is you could make a 7" strip of the tape/ribbon combo like in Step 1 to use for the center.





STEP 7:
(Front view of ribbon on bow)
Place a dot of your hot glue on the front center of the bow and place the knot of ribbon on top.  Flip the bow over.

Using another dot of glue, criss-cross the ribbon over the back of the bow and secure with glue.  Let it dry.








STEP 8:
Place the hair clip on the back side of the bow and secure with hot glue.











STEP 9:
I criss-crossed the ribbon over the underside of the clip and secured with more hot glue.

Trim the extra length of ribbon and your done!









Doesn't that look adorable?  Let me know if you try creating your own Ducktape Pinwheel Bow.


Oh yes, I forgot to include the hair clips in the supply photo so here they are (also found at Michaels!)