5.29.2013

Confessions of a food hater.

Dear Abby,
I am a work at home Mom who hates the entire process of cooking. From the meal planning to the  shopping list right through to the dinner table, I hate it.  I know it is my duty to provide and prepare healthy meals for my family but, I just don't enjoy the process, at all.  I would much rather be scrubbing my toilet than deal with dinner. Oh, does that sound extreme? Well, that's my truth and I'm sticking to it.

I have tried couponing, various meal planning systems, and the ever-loving crockpot.  I have three of the most picky eaters on the planet so when I spend hours planning, preparing, and serving a meal only to have my kids stick up their noses to the food served, I'm spent.  I am a vegetarian, my husband is a total carnivore, and there is no telling when or what my kids will eat.  Hiring a full time chef is not in the budget but, definitely the first thing we will buy with our lottery winnings.

I see friends, bloggers, instagram feeds, facebook posts, and Pinterest pins of these other incredible women providing healthy meals for their families every single day and I want to be like them... really I do. I just can't stand being in the kitchen for longer than I have to [are you hearing me stomp my foot and pound my fist on the kitchen counter?]. Listen, I've got years ahead of me before I'm being fed daily meals in a retirement home (totally looking forward to my days of endless Bingo, by the way).  I know I have to cook so, I want to enjoy it!  How can I change my attitude and perspective about food?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Crying In The Kitchen (and it ain't just the onions)

3 comments:

Elissa said...

OK Carrie - that was such a great blog - I loved it! I am the opposite. I would spend all of my free time cooking if I could. I love to eat and I LOVE to cook. Hmmm how you could enjoy it more....

I'm really going to have to think about this! I just can't imagine not enjoying cooking (especially to the point of having to clean toilets). Oh I wish I lived closer - we could trade.

Carrie Postma said...

Oh Elissa! I know I'm a weirdo for not liking to cook, so many people I know LOVE it! If you ever move back, I will totally take that trade ;-)

cd said...

This won't solve all of it but have you tried giving your kids and hubby one night a week to plan the menu? You can be in the kitchen helping them but it's their meal and in doing it together it may bring joy into the kitchen??
Plus they will see the hard work may or may not pay off. It may change their attitude toward meals and who prepares it.